Friday, February 5, 2010

Yoga Journal Conference, Day 3: Session 2: Nadi Sodhana with Angela Farmer and Victor van Kooten


Nadi Sodhana: Alternate-Nostril Breathing Angela Farmer & Victor van Kooten - Course ID: M5AFVVMixed Levels

5
Sunday, January 31 — 10:30am - 12:30pm
Main Conference - Session 5
With the help of internal awareness, gravity, and visualization, we'll uncover the ease and natural control of alternate-nostril breathing. There's no need to disturb the balance of the delicate nostril membranes by placing our fingers on our nose when trying to discover some of the many channels that connect breath to each and every part of our body. Breath awareness with some asana.



This workshop was designed to tap us into the subtle movement of prana through the nostril channels without the crushing action of pusing our fingers up against our noses.  I am in love with Victor and Anglea and do not take many notes when with them.  Also, I got to be with my pal Betsy who I am also completely in love with so I was too absorbed to pick up a pen.  But I captured some video and hopefully most of the experience.

"We are opening our awareness to what is happening anyway."

"Checking in takes you back inside"

"The breath stays with us all our lives."
"Touch and Receive."
"Sit in the back of the room, sit in the back of the nostrils and allow them to open like windows"

We played with partner work to assist each other open the channels to feel the flow of breath through the channels of the nose.  This was incredibly magnificent.  I am surprised I had the focus to film anything.

Their work is SO SUBTLE that I am not sure that these videos communicate very well.  Perhaps they mostly remind me of what we did.  You can learn more about Victor and Angela at: http://angela-victor.com/

The Shoulders





The Legs











Seated




Then we worked with partners, and I must not have been filming when I thought I was.  From the picture, you can see that one partner sits behind the other.  Then using their hands, they press down on the hips and rotate them out.  This gives such a sweet grounded feeling.  Then, playing with pressing more on one side and then the other, the seated partner is able to feel the channels open alternately depending on where the pressure is.  Very cool and profound. 










No comments: