Monday, June 15, 2009

Teaching Yoga, Summer 2009. Day 5

OM

We gathered from 12:30 to 5:00 today.

Opening/Centering
Legs up the Wall
Legs on Bolster in BK
Supported Spinal Twist
Savasana
Sit

Gathered
The Discussion had a few layers.
1. Standing on the Shoulders of Giants. A peak into the lineage of Krishnamacharya and where our influences are coming from.
2. Understanding Beginners
3. Assigning of Lineage Homework
4. Rough and Dirty Rodeo Style Chanting of the Gayatri Mantra

Practice
N and W taught Half Sun Salutations.
We played with A, B and C.
Looking at common misalignment's in chaturanga and updog. Assessing various ways of "accomplishing them". It was cool to find out that both the guys in the class preferred chaturangato Updog than rolling thru it. I imagine that this comes from their strength vs. their flexibility, but I am not totally sure.

I struggled with preparing today. For the last 3 years I have questioned the necessity of reviewing the blueprints of the Surya Namaskar A, B and C. They are are such important blueprints, but I have not taught their "traditional" form in centuries. So I am not sure that I am really doing them justice anymore. I am not sure that I am really communicating their beauty and essence. And yet, I still felt compelled this afternoon to go through them. We looked at the alignment of each of the elements and different obstacles people encounter and the reasons.

Then we did a "lulu lunge salute".

Padangusthasana
Pada hastasana
Malasana
Roll onto Backs
Supine Hip Openers Hamstring Patter (rip off of Schiffman's Lightening bolt)
Savasana

Break from 4:00 to 4:30
Regather @ 4:30

Assignment of "Design Your Own Sun Salutation and Be Prepared to Teach it"

A-U-M Breakdown.
Close


OM

No comments: